02 September 2009

UPDATE 2: I'm Not Shocked - Are You?



Update 2: Multiple calls for Van Jones to resign are going out based on his participation in the 9/11 'truther' movement, including signing the '9/11 Truth Statement' and participating in a rally based on that statement to demand a new investigation of the CIA and Bush Administration.


Update 1: Van Jones kind of, sort of, apologizes, while delivering a back-handed compliment.

HuffPo thinks it humorous that Fox News acted shocked over this. Personally, I'm not in the least shocked. It's right in line with the behavior I would expect from the man who seems to have deliberately radicalized himself in a very short period of time, and in part, because it's what all the cool people were doing:
'Jones had planned to move to Washington, DC, and had already landed a job and an apartment there. But in jail, he said, "I met all these young radical people of color -- I mean really radical, communists and anarchists. And it was, like, 'This is what I need to be a part of.'" Although he already had a plane ticket, he decided to stay in San Francisco. "I spent the next ten years of my life working with a lot of those people I met in jail, trying to be a revolutionary." In the months that followed, he let go of any lingering thoughts that he might fit in with the status quo. "I was a rowdy nationalist on April 28th, and then the verdicts came down on April 29th," he said. "By August, I was a communist."'
I have no issues with the 'green jobs not jail' mantra of the Ella Baker Center, but Van Jones is simply an activist who went looking for a cause. His statement toward the end of the clip, that he too can be an ass, is probably correct, but what really strikes me in the video is not his language, but rather his total lack of thought. Van Jones fails to attempt to answer the, rather pathetic, question put to him. He either does not know, or does not care to think through, why Republicans able to successfully enact multiple programs and legislation that he himself does not support. Neither the questioner nor Van Jones seems able to move beyond the simplistic explanation of 'Republicans are a-holes.' The language is unworthy of someone appointed by the President of the United States to lead a large program. The simplistic thinking is unworthy of the anyone who aspires to lead.

News widget by Feedzilla


RSS news feeds and News widgets

Buzz of the Day

Apture